PF-2 Arsenic and Fluoride water filters (2) install in the lower chamber of the Berkey Water Filter and are used along with the 2 Black Berkey water purification elements to adsorb the following undesired elements in drinking water:
- Arsenic V and pre-oxidized Arsenic III
- Other residual heavy metal ions
- Use PF-2's for all the black berkeys working in upper chamber. Eg, 4 Black Berkeys (2 sets of 2) require 4 PF-2's (2 sets of 2).
- The PF-2 shell is fabricated with safe, non-leaching polypropylene #5 that is BPA-Free.
Test results on FLUORIDE:
20-30ppm of ion in a influent aqueous solution with a flow rate of no more than 3 gpm (11 lpm) per cubic foot of media was passed through the system. The results were:
- < 1ppm of the fluoride ion in the effluent was observed on the output of the filter delivering a >95% reduction.
- Under optimum conditions, effluent concentrations > 50 ppb were readily achieved or a >99.75% reduction.
Test results on ARSENIC:
The entire family of arsenic oxide anions and arsenic cations were removed.
With normal use it is recommended that each set of two PF-2 elements be replaced after 1,000 gallons (3,785 liters) or every 2 years (whichever comes first). As an example, the Royal Berkey system stores about 3.25 gallons (12.3 liters) and should have the PF-2 arsenic and fluoride water filters replaced after 1,000/3.25 (3,785/12.3) or 307 refills. If you refill one time per day, the PF-2's should be replaced after 10 months, twice per day, the PF-2's arsenic and fluoride water filters should be replaced about every five months. Actual capacity is dependent on the presence of other competing contaminants in the source water. High levels of fluoride, arsenic and heavy metals may reduce the capacity and efficiency of the elements.
- Do not boil this element.
- PF-2 arsenic and fluoride water filters reduce filtration flow rate by 15-20%.
- The media used in the PF-2 filter elements contains high-grade activated aluminum oxide, which currently is the most efficient media available for extracting fluoride from water. Below are the results we obtained when testing the PF-2 arsenic and fluoride water filters (the water was not pre-filtered through the Black Berkey elements). Performance reduction is time results when additional residual process dust being wash free from the PF-2 arsenic and fluoride water filters as the system is used. The following comparisons illustrate just how effective the PF2 contamination removal levels are in comparison to a national brand toothpaste and water boiled in an aluminum pan.
- National brand toothpaste 52.878 ppm aluminum
- Water boiled in an aluminum pan for five minutes: 2.791 ppm aluminum
- PF2 after conditioning (5 cycles): .178 ppm aluminum
- PF2 after 10 Cycles: .037 ppm aluminum
- PF2 after 20 Cycles: .029 ppm aluminum
The residual process dust adds a minute amount of aluminum to the water and the Black Berkey purification elements reduce aluminum. We tested water contained at .320ppm aluminum and filtered it through the combination of the Black Berkey and the post conditioned PF-2 arsenic and fluoride water filters (5 cycles). The results showed a net reduction in aluminum contamination (Raw influent: .320ppm - Effluent after passing through the Black Berkey and PF-2 arsenic and fluoride water filters: .232ppm. In other words, the Black Berkey elements removed more aluminum from the water than was added by the PF-2 arsenic and fluoride water filters. Big Berkey Water Filters homepage.
The Dangers of Fluoride, The Great Debate
The Fluoride in Your Water Is Industrial Waste
ADA recommends no fluoride in infant formula during their first 12 months.
Instructions on How to Prime Your PF-2 Filters
HOW ACTIVATED ALUMINA WORKS:
Activated Alumina is a granulated aluminum oxide. This element is very porous and has a extremely broad surface area for the removal of contaminants. In the removal process, the water containing arsenic and/or fluoride passes over the granules in the filter with the activated alumina absorbing the arsenic and fluoride. The longer the alumina is used, the more the contaminants are removed.
The manufacturer, New Millennium Concepts, Ltd., warrants this product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 6 months from date of purchase. New Millennium Concepts, Ltd. will replace or repair any product that it deems is not properly functioning during the stated warranty period.
** Free UPS Ground Shipping to the lower 48 states. Does not ship to California.